The City Manager serves as Chief Administrative and Executive Officer of the City of Bloomfield Hills. The City Manager is appointed by, and serves at the pleasure of the elected City Commission. The City Manager administers and coordinates various functions of City government as stated in the City Charter and supplemented by policies established by the City Commission.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Administers the day-to-day operations and policies of the City.
- Determines and ensures that employees are aware of the City objectives and are performing their functions toward accomplishing these objectives.
- Conducts staff meetings; encourages supervisory leaders to pursue self-development in their respective fields of expertise.
- Assists in preparation of the annual budget with the Director Finance / Treasurer; advises City Commission regarding City's financial condition including status of major projects and programs.
- Prepares periodic and special reports concerning activities of municipal government.
- Attends and participates in Commission meetings, including presenting special studies and reports requested by the Commission or on own initiative.
- Represents the city in intergovernmental relationships with neighboring townships and cities.
- Attends and participates in professional meetings to keep abreast of current developments in municipal government.
- Delivers speeches and presentations to lay and professional groups on City Government.
- Performs special projects as directed by the Commission.
- Performs a wide variety of relative administrative and executive duties and responsibilities.
- Hires and supervises the City’s staff.
City Manager Biography
Jay Cravens has been employed in local government for over 30 years. He came to Bloomfield Hills in April 2007. Prior to Bloomfield Hills, he was employed in Cascade Charter Township, a suburb of Grand Rapids Michigan for about 20 years. He was the Township Manager for 11 years and Planning Director for about 9 years.
Jay received his Master of Urban Planning degree from Michigan State University. He received his under graduate degree in Public Administration from Western Michigan University.
Jay has been an active member of the Michigan Association of Planning. He is currently serving on their board of directors as Past President. He is also involved with the Michigan Local Government Management Association and is a full member of the International City/County Management Association. Locally, he is a member of the Bloomfield Hills chapter of the Optimist Club.
Jay and his wife Laurie reside in the Bloomfield Hills area. In his spare time, Jay enjoys running and gardening. He is also an advanced master gardener and enjoys volunteering for the MSU Master Gardener program.