Permits & Forms
Are you planning a home or yard improvement project? Our resources and references are compiled here in one location to answer all your building, planning, zoning, and site questions.
Permit requirements updated January 29, 2013.
As described in Michigan adopted codes, “Any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure…shall first make application to the building official and obtain the required permit.” If there is any question as to the need for a permit, contact the Building Department at 248-530-1408. Permits are required for many types of jobs, including, but not limited to, the following:
- New residential and commercial building construction
- Additions, alterations or modifications to existing buildings
- Decks (new and replacement)
- Basement Waterproofing
- Roofing (Tear-off and new installation)
- Tennis courts, sports courts, swimming pools or similar accessory structures
- Fences (for swimming pool areas)
- Air conditioning units (Requires building permit for side-yard installations)
- Generators (Building permit is required, as well as trade permits)
- Retaining and screening walls
- Windows (all) and Exterior door replacement
- Piers, walls and fences in front yard areas
- Residential and commercial demolition
- Siding and masonry veneer replacement
- All indoor and outdoor electrical work requires an electrical permit
- All indoor plumbing, water services, sanitary sewer services, storm sewer services, basement waterproofing drains, sprinkling systems and sump-pump installations require a plumbing permit
- Any work relating to heating, cooling and ventilation systems requires a mechanical permit.
- Low Voltage permits are no longer required; however, the low voltage work must be in place at the time of electrical inspection.
Many of our permit forms have been updated. The current version of the specific permit forms may be found on our website or at the front counter. The required fees are posted on our website as well. Minimum permit fees will always apply.
Email building staff for questions or to submit permit applications.
Building Permit Applications
- Accessory Structure Permit Application
- Addition-Commercial Permit Application
- Addition-Residential Permit Application
- Basement Waterproofing Permit Application
- Deck Permit Application
- Demolition-Commercial Permit Application
- Demolition-Residential Permit Application
- Fence Permit Application
- Generator-Commercial Permit Application
- Generator-Residential Permit Application
- Minor Grading Landscape Flatwork-Commercial Permit Application
- Minor Grading Landscape Flatwork-Residential Permit Application
- New Construction-Commercial Permit Application
- New Construction-Residential Permit Application
- Renovation-Commercial Permit Application
- Renovation-Residential Permit Application
- Residential Right-of-Way Permit Application
- Right-of-Way (Utilities) Permit Application
- Road Preservation Bond Application
- Roof-Commercial Permit Application
- Roof-Residential Permit Application
- Siding Permit Application
- Sign-Commercial Permit Application
- Small Cell Facilities Permit Application
- Temporary Sign-Commercial Permit Application
- Temporary Sign Permit Application
- Tent and Temporary Structure Permit Application
- Tree Permit Application
- Windows and Doors Permit Application
Soil Erosion Sedimentation Control (SESC) Applications & References
- Soil Erosion Sedimentation Control (SESC) Permit Application
- Guide to Soil Erosion Sedimentation Control (SESC)
- SESC Plan Requirements
- Site Prioritization Matrix
Trade Permit Applications
- Electrical Permit Application
- Mechanical Permit Application
- Plumbing Permit Application
- Fire Alarm Permit Application
- Fire Suppression Permit Application
Planning Commission Applications
- Accessory Structure / Fence / Wall / Gate / Pier Planning Commission Application
- Grading Appeal Planning Commission Application
- Division or Partition of Land Planning Commission Application
- Natural Features Setback Planning Commission Application
- PUD Planning Commission Application
- Rezoning, Zoning Ordinance, Master Plan Amendment Planning Commission Application
- Sign Planning Commission Application
- Site Plan Review Planning Commission Application
Zoning Board of Appeals Applications
The project checklists were created to provide a concise list of submittal requirements for the various plan reviews and projects. Each building permit application or board/commission application must include a completed checklist at the time of submittal.
- What time frame should I allow for a building permit to be issued?
- As a homeowner, may I apply for a building permit?
- Can I start work without a permit being issued?
- What type of fees should I anticipate when applying for a building permit?
- Do I need to apply for a permit in person?
- Why do I need a permit for a swimming pool?