Important Information for Local Candidates
- State election Law prohibits campaigning within 100 feet from any doorway used by voters to enter the building in which the polling place is located. Campaigning includes: approaching voters to encourage them to vote for or against a candidate or ballot question; distributing any type of campaign literature or write-in stickers; attempting to collect petition signatures; requesting donations; selling raffle tickets or engaging in similar activities.
- The City Logo has copyright restrictions and may not be used by candidates for public office.
- To be eligible as a candidate for the November 5, 2019 Election, interested citizens must file completed nominating petitions by July 23, 2019 at 4:00 p.m. with the City Clerk.
- Candidate’s filings will be verified in the order they are received. Candidates with insufficient nominating petitions will be notified immediately, in writing, stating the reason(s).
- All areas of the petition, except for the Signature of Circulator, must be completed prior to obtaining any signatures.
- The circulator must complete the date the certificate at the bottom of the sheet after gathering the last signature (s)he intends to collect on the sheet. Signatures on a petition sheet which are dated after the date on the circulator’s certificate are invalid and shall not be counted.
- A petition sheet cannot be circulated by more than 1 person.
- Persons signing petitions must be registered to vote in the City of Bloomfield Hills and must fill in all information requested on the petition.
- No person shall sign the petition of more than five persons for the office of City Commissioner. Five Commissioners are to be elected; therefore, a registered voter may sign only five nominating petitions for Commissioners.
- Nominating petitions shall be open to the public for inspection in the office of the City Clerk in accordance with Michigan Election Law 168.555.
- Precinct 1: City Hall - 45 E Long Lake Road
- Precinct 2: Congregational Church of Birmingham - 1000 Cranbrook Road
- Absentee Counting Board: 45 E. Long Lake Road
Campaign Finance Act
A candidate running for City Office is subject to this Act’s filing requirements. Information and forms are available at the Oakland County Election Department (248) 858-0564 or on the website