As a homeowner can I pull my own building or trade permits?
Yes. You will be required to fill out a Homeowner’s Affidavit claiming that you will personally be doing the work, and bear full responsibility for the work that is done. all work must conform to code and you will be held personally liable. This practice is not encouraged. If a State of Michigan licensed Builder or Maintenance/Alteration Contractor is hired by the homeowner to supervise the work, then we strongly recommend the permit be issued to the licensed builder.

Show All Answers

1. What should I do with my copy of my permit and building plans when the City gives me an approved copy back?
2. Does my building permit also include the electrical and plumbing and heating permit?
3. Why do I have to post a bond and when will I get it back?
4. As a homeowner can I pull my own building or trade permits?
5. Will the City recommend a good building, plumbing, electrical or mechanical company?
6. What do I have to pull a building permit for?
7. What codes has the City of Bloomfield Hills adopted?
8. Do I need a permit for a swimming pool?
9. When must "Builders" or contractors be licensed?
10. How can I verify if my contractor is licensed?
11. What time frame should I allow for a building permit to be issued?
12. May I start the work before a permit is issued?
13. What type of fees should I anticipate when applying for a building permit?
14. Do I need to apply for a permit in person?
15. Why do contractors have to register their licenses with the City?