Careers

No current openings

The City of Bloomfield Hills is located in Oakland County, Michigan and is approximately five sq. miles with a population of 4,000 residents.  Our emergency services are unique in that we operate under a Public Safety structure utilizing three work shifts on a 24-hour shift cycle.  Every officer is trained in police, fire and EMS. The Department is a very desirable employment opportunity in the public safety profession.

The Bloomfield Hills Public Safety Department typically offers two entry level career paths; Public Safety Officer and Communications Specialist.

Public Safety Officers

Hours and Wages

Public Safety Officers start out at $50,304.64 with increases to a wage of $72,810.23 at five years seniority effective July 1st, 2018.  Includes a competitive benefit and retirement package.  Candidates must be available to work 24 hour shifts.  All employees are subject to immediate emergency callback to meet the City’s need.

Specialized Unit Training

Bloomfield Hills DPS allows for professional growth through a tiered Command structure as well as unique training and specialized training within the field of Public Safety.  Some of our Officer’s specialize as Evidence Technicians, Firearms Instructors, Arson Investigations, Use of Force Instructors, Field Training Officers, Oakland County Hazmat Team members, South Oakland Crash Investigation Team Members, Motor Carrier Enforcement, hostage negotiations.  The City also offers tuition reimbursement as the Director holds continuing education in high regard.

Duties

  • Provide preventative patrol, in an automobile, or on foot; investigates suspicious subjects, vehicles, and situations.
  • Conducts property checks of businesses, public buildings, and areas, and private homes.
  • Uses radio equipment in accordance with department policy to receive assignments, request information, and maintain awareness of department activities. Keeps shift supervisor apprised of status and activities.
  • Investigates reported crimes, accidents, and other incidents. Gathers, protects, and processes evidence to the best of their knowledge, skill and ability.
  • Enforces ordinances and statutes, making arrests or issuing citations using the appropriate discretion to protect the safety and wellbeing of the community.
  • Maintain a neat, well-groomed appearance and wear approved attire/uniform.
  • Provide traffic control and enforcement.
  • Perform first aid on injured persons as State of Michigan licensed Medical First Responder.  Department will provide initial training and continuing education.
  • Completes all necessary reports, tickets, forms, and administrative paperwork as necessary to complete tasks assigned.
  • Responds to fire incidents to perform firefighting duties as directed by the on-scene Incident Commander.
  • Perform other duties assigned.

Requirements

  • Must be at least 21 years of age.
  • Must have valid Michigan driver’s license.
  • Associate’s degree/60 credit hours minimum required, Bachelor’s degree preferred.  Any field of study will be considered.
  • Minimum passing score of 70% on Empco pre-employment written test by application closing date.  (www.empco.net)  See the Empco website for a list of dates and locations the test will be administered.  Applicants must make their results available to the Bloomfield Hills Public Safety Department.  
  • Either MCOLES certified/certifiable or MFFTC FF I & II certified (applicants currently in a fire or police academy in good standing will be considered).  Dual MCOLES and MFFTC certified is preferred.
  • Pass pre-employment physical and drug screen.
  • Pass pre-employment psychological exam.
  • Pass pre-employment background check.  No felony convictions.
  • Pass firefighter physical agility test administered by the Department.  Fire only certified applicants would be required to complete MCOLES pre-enrollment reading, writing, and physical fitness testing.
  • Ability to work rotating shifts and overtime as needed.

Benefits

  • Current schedule is combination of 24 hour shifts (“firefighter’s schedule”) and 40 hr/wk midnight rotations.
  • Competitive Medical/Dental (Blue Cross Blue Shield and Delta Dental).  Retirement Health Savings Account.
  • 401a Retirement Plan (13.5% employer, 5% employee for a total contribution of 18.5%).  Additionally an optional 457 Deferred Compensation Plan is available.
  • Longevity premium 3-9% based on years of service starting after five years of service based on max pay in effect 6/30/18.
  • Paid Time Off including Annual, Personal and Sick Leave.
  • Employer will provide first set of uniforms and equipment.  A uniform allowance is provided after one year based on current CBA.

Communication Specialists

Hours and Wages

Communication Specialists work 12-hour shifts from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm or 8:00 pm to 8:00 am.  Part-time Communication Specialists start at $15.00/hour during training, $17.00/hour at one year and up to a maximum of $23.00/hour depending on length of service and experience.  Full-time Communication Specialists start out at $43,792.92/yr with increases to $53,145.89/yr at year three as of July 1st, 2019.

Specialized Training

Communication Specialists receive specialized training in the areas of call taking, 911 operations, radio communications, computer aided dispatch, CCTV systems and many more.  Communication Specialist must also meet the standards set forth by the State of Michigan 911 Committee:

  • Completion of a Module 1 basic 40 hour telecommunications training course, with subjects including:
    • Telecommunicator responsibilities and roles
    • Overview of public safety, fire, police and emergency medical services
    • Interpersonal communications
    • Legal aspects of dispatcher services
    • Telephone techniques
    • Stress management
    • Radio communications
    • Call classification
    • Public safety technologies
  • Within two years of hire, all 911 dispatchers must complete Module II, 40 hours of training in:
    • Homeland security
    • Stress management
    • 911 liability
    • Suicide intervention
    • Domestic violence
  • Additionally, all 911 dispatchers in Michigan must complete 24 hours of continuing education every two years. Eight of these hours may be internal training, taking place within the employers’ agency.

Duties

  • Operates radio dispatch equipment in the enhanced 911 communications center.
  • Receives 911 and other calls for police, fire, ambulance and civil defense units; provides assistance and dispatches appropriate personnel.
  • Send messages by radio to other police units giving information on stolen cars, missing persons and other data.
  • Operates a computer or L.E.I.N. for checks on wanted persons, vehicles, guns and other information.
  • Enters warrants, wanted vehicles, guns and articles into L.E.I.N. and in-house computer, and cancels information when required.
  • Assists other assigned agencies with L.E.I.N./N.C.I.C. information, files, entries and cancellations.
  • Keeps various records on communications and computer activities.
  • Files various records and reports.
  • Answers the telephone, takes messages, answers inquiries.
  • Assists in other phases of public safety work as required.
  • Performs other related duties as required.

Requirements

  • Must be at least 18 years of age.
  • Must have valid Michigan driver’s license.
  • Pass pre-employment physical and drug screen.
  • Pass pre-employment psychological exam.
  • Pass pre-employment background check.  No felony convictions.
  • Ability to work rotating shifts and overtime as needed.
  • Ability to type efficiently and operate standard computer programs (MS Windows, MS Word, MS Excel and MS Outlook).

Benefits

  • Competitive Medical/Dental (Blue Cross Blue Shield and Delta Dental).  Retirement Health Savings Account.
  • 401a Retirement Plan (10% employer, 5% employee for a total contribution of 15%).  Additionally an optional 457 Deferred Compensation Plan is available.
  • Longevity premium $1,000 annually starting at five years of service, $2,000 annually at 10 years of service and $3,000 annually at 15 years of service. 
  • Paid Time Off including Annual, Personal and Sick Leave.
  • Employer will provide first set of uniforms and equipment.  A uniform allowance is provided after one year based on current CBA.

Application Process

The Department advertises on our Facebook page, the MCOLES website, at local police and fire academies and this website when there is an active recruiting announcement.  Be sure to check these places often for future announcements.

Please direct any questions concerning recruitment and hiring to hiring@bloomfieldhillspolice.com, or to Lt. Lockard by phone at (248) 530-1406.